Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Modification of a small compost bin

In the search for the perfect compost bin for a small garden, I have searched the web. There are many examples to choose from. But most often they are either too expensive or unsightly in a manicured garden. I needed something unassuming but yet cost effective. It had to be big enough to accommodate our daily organic kitchen refuse and also the garden wastes.

As always thinking too much and doing nothing, is a sign of a great procrastinator. My problem is I want it perfect before I do anything about it. I want to do it right the first time or not at all. So searching thru and seeing the many examples, I chanced upon designs with an opening at the bottom.

Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, why was I wasting so much time trying to create a new garden composter bin when I could modify what I already have. Moreover the vegetation and kitchen waste has been sitting in this composter bin for more than 6 months. It was ripe for harvesting, but I could not get at it as it was on the bottom. So why not make an opening like what I had seen in the examples on the web.

So here it is. This composter bin is actually a clothes or laundry hamper that I have recycled into a Garden composter bin. It already had the required holes for aeration. Just dump in the veggie and garden waste and let it decompose. Ensuring that you have the required mix of green and brown matter for the nitrogen and carbon balance, the recommended ratio is 50/50 balance, These would be no smell and no fuss.

So using some handy power tools I set out to make it happen. I used a Bosch Multitool and a cordless drill. 

I marked out the line  where the hole was supposed to be and used the semi round blade of the multitool to cut the hole. It was perfect for the job. 
Next using the cordless drill, I bored some holes to attach the plastic cable zip ties. This will serve as the hinges to the opening. You could get metal hinges and rivet it to the plastic, but since this was already old I didn't bother. 




Now the compost harvesting hole is ready to use. Harvested a nice basin of compost and sealed the bin with a couple of zip ties for another day. Should I need to harvest more, I just cut off the zip ties, harvest and close it back again. Simple. 

All in all, it took me about 30 mins to do the whole thing. You can do this to any one of your composting bins. If the bins are bigger than mine above, then you may have to make openings on either side or on all for side if the bins if it is really large.

Composting...A better way to recycle.

Happy Gardening and DIY.



My favourite FB group chat about gardening. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ourhome.mhmgmr/









3 comments:

  1. Nice post! Way to work with what you have in hand.

    Perhaps, you could use key rings to permanently attach the "door" to the composter and S hooks on the other side. Unhook the S hooks, scoop out the "gold" and close the door again by hooking the S hook through the holes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom on Blog. That is definitely possible. I chose the zip ties because then I could adjust the size of the ring for the hinges. The zip ties are really cheap and I have lots.

      The adjustability factor fo zip ties helps to keep the door exactly where I want them to be, then I did not have to measure for the size of the hooks or other fixed size fasteners.

      Thanks for the suggestion. I will see if I can incorporate this idea into my other projects.

      Delete
  2. Good one. simple & realistic! shld start to look for a dustbin.haha

    ReplyDelete